Pain in the Back


From time to time I get terrible lower back spasms. Like I'm having right now. Puts a real cloud over my usually sunny disposition. This time the spasm was triggered by unloading the dishwasher.

Over the weekend I badgered the on-call doctor to prescribe more of the muscle relaxers I used in January when my spasms were so bad I prepared for a trip to the ER. I couldn't get off the floor where I was on my hands and knees in excruciating pain. I had taken some over the counter pain meds that slowly began to kick in and I was able to make it until the next morning when I had a previously scheduled doctor's appointment.

The most innocuous activity can trigger a spasm. Like turning on the water for a shower, or loading the washer or dryer. The on-call doctor and my primary care doc both left messages saying this is not how things are usually done. They gave me 10 pills and threatened me with a doctor's visit if my symptoms continued. The on-call doc wouldn't prescribe anything for me. He couldn't see my records back to January and thought I had never been prescribed the muscle relaxers. They were talking to me like I was a drug addict. All I want is some pain relief.

So far I'm on day two of my five day pill supply with barely a trace of improvement. Back pain affects everything I do. It hurts when I sit, when I stand, when I lie down, whatever. Sheesh! It used to take a couple days for the spasms to run their course. Now nearly two weeks sometimes longer. I have tried all of the back pain remedies. The back heat wraps, the back brace, a battery operated massager, you name it. I'm going to try ice next.

Comments

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.

Popular Posts