My Vanity Project Phase 1

Vanity Project Phase One
After weeks of dragging the hubby around town looking for what he called a unicorn, I have given up. Instead I scoured magazines and Pinterest for ideas. I was looking for a vanity table. What I'm looking for doesn't exist. Not a new one anyway. I like the antique versions I ran across but they just didn't fit what I was looking for.

I got a couple great ideas from Architectural Digest and cut out the pix for my file. I kinda forgot them for a while. When I ran across them again I was inspired. Then I saw a really frilly vanity table covered in a lacy table cloth. Too frufru for me but I will adapt it to my style. I saw a chair cover for my office chair. That will complete phase two.

I began simply by moving my stuff from the bathroom to the guest room that I also use as a sewing room. I need to sit down to do my toilette. I'm just too old to stand as long as it takes to get myself together these days. I have a folding table that I use as a sewing surface. When not in use I put a table cloth on it for our guests. Not that many guests, but I still wanted the room to look nice. Not just thrown together.

I moved a magnifying mirror in, too. Sitting in there even in this unfinished state, felt wonderful. I knew I was onto something. As I sat there looking at what I'd begun, I realized I didn't need to go out and buy a new piece of furniture, I have pretty much every thing I need to make this thing happen.

First I consulted the hubby to see if he had any objection to me relocating the large mirror already on the wall. As our resident artist, he is the one who usually does our home decorating. That mirror was just kinda thrown up there, a remnant from our old condo. I lowered it to just above the table and voila' the basis of my vanity table was begun!

The hubby said he'd always wanted to hang more pix in there. I thought that was a great idea. I'd fill the new space above the mirror. My vanity, my choice of pix to hang. I'm loving this. I went around the house and gathered pix I wanted. Looked through a stack of others that had been hanging in the office. Made a selection that pleased me. Did a little re- framing, too.

That took a while. Today I was ready to actually hang the pix. The hubby came through as I hammered away. He wanted to know how my "clubhouse" was doing. I am a happy camper. Making this space just for me.

Now that this phase is done, up next is shopping for fabric for the tablecloth and chair cover. Nothing too frilly, not matchy matchy, I will know it when I see it. I looked high and low for ready made table cloths and chair covers and I didn't find what I am looking for. I will be in JoAnn's fabrics on the hunt. Penterest has lots of ideas for making patterns for and sewing the chair cover. I'm all over this!

Preeeeeety



The final touch will be this beautiful mirrored box and fancy magnifying mirror I found at Z Gallerie. These two items are going to set it off. Can't wait to see the finished project.


Comments

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.

Popular Posts