It's Friday Night

It's Friday night and I don't have to worry about trying to find out where the happenings are. They are right here in front of the TV with the hubby and Netflix. I remember the days when I would don my club uniform; slacks, nice blouse, cute shoes, and I'd hit it. No hoochie outfits like the girls wear today. There were hoochie outfits in the club, just not on me. I was a lone wolf. I didn't need a posse of girlfriends to ride with. I didn't want any witnesses. Regularly, I would run into other loners in the ladies rooms.

I'd pull into the parking lot in my aged VW bug, fortify myself with a few hits of a joint, (shhhhhhhh, those days are long over) and make my way to the door. I met all kinds of interesting sorts. In those days everyone's line was, "What's your sign?" Meaning your Zodiac sign. I hated that line. I would say I don't have a sign. The next question would invariably be, "Where do you work?" I didn't care much for that line, either. Finally a brother would get to, "What's your name?" Well, damn, I thought you'd never ask.

Then and probably like now, there were lots of perpetrators. Guys who had leased a luxury car for the weekend. Guys who still lived with their mothers. Guys with frayed collars and cuffs, trying to find someone who would take them home. Every now and then I would take someone home or go home with someone. One guy creeped me out enough that I called a girlfriend to tell her where I was. Just in case. Nothing untoward happened, thankfully. I put myself in some pretty spotty situations in those young and crazy days. God was looking out for me.

Those were the pre-AIDS days. It wasn't exactly all that safe, but you didn't get a life threatening disease from fooling around. Clubs were a good place to have fun, but I don't know anyone who says they met their spouse in the club.

The hubby and I have had occasion to go to events held in today's nightclubs. It was no longer fun. The music was too loud, the drinks were too weak and expensive, there was no place to sit. We were beyond "ret" to go.

Comments

  1. Enjoyed reading "It's Friday". Keep the blogs coming. Jacalyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jacalyn! Will do. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.

Popular Posts