FURTHER ADVENTURES ON THE BIKE PATH


Of Course I Took Pix
I usually have nice peaceful bike rides, meditating along the way, enjoying the wonders of nature. Today was a little different.

On the bike path there are stretches at least a quarter mile long. In the middle of these long stretches people do all kinds of things that they don’t want the police to know about. Dumping furniture and trash, making out, drinking alcohol, passing out, smoking dope, and urinating. Lots of urinating.

Someone must have complained because now there are bicycle police patrolling the the bike path these days. Today on about mile 5 of my ride, two bike cops and a patrol car where on the the path arresting a man. The nice lady cop smiled at me as I rode by. I smiled back, showing how well I adhere to the law.

On mile 7 as I approached a small street that crosses the bike path I could see up ahead a man off of his bike. I hoped he wasn’t blocking the path as many times happens. As I got closer I could see that he was on the phone but not blocking the path. OK, that’s good for me, I can get past him. 

When I got up to him, I discovered why he had stopped and was on the phone. There was a half naked woman sitting in a big muddy puddle on the side of the path. He said that he had seen her walking and then fall. 

She was literally half naked. Nothing at all from the waist down as she sat like she was in a bath tub, in this nasty ass muddy water. Her dress used to be a crocheted type of thing, but it was ripped to shreds, the bottom was totally missing and she tried to cover her legs with what was left of the bottom part of the dress. On the top section she wore her bra on the outside of the dress.

I asked if she was OK, as I rode up. When I saw her I knew she was not OK. I asked her what was she on. She mumbled something incoherent. I asked, “Did you take something?” She smiled crazily and said, “Vicodinnnnnn”.  I asked, “ How much vicodin?” She gestured with her hand and counted off from her pinky finger with her thumb, “Onnnnne, twoooooo, threeeeeee, fourrrrrr, maybe fiiiiiiiiiiii....” I asked, “Who gave you the vicodin?” She stared off into space.

We could hear the sirens coming and I was going to leave. She beckoned me to stay and talk to her some more. She thought I was awfully nice. I was concerned as I noticed her entire pussy was submersed in the mud. Yikes.

The guy who saw her first went out into the busy traffic across two of the four lanes to flag down the ambulance. I stayed with the woman, and waved from there. The paramedics came over, careful not to step in the mud on the other side of the path. They talked to her, asking what I’d asked. I answered for her. They stayed on the path, encouraging her to come to them. She couldn't. They were not about to step into that nasty puddle. Finally she reached out her arm to them and they dragged her out of the puddle onto the path. They asked her name. She mumbled her name. They gave her a shot and she went, “WOOOOOWEEEEE!”  As I rode away I heard the paramedics say, "She’s going to feel much better now.”


I couldn’t help thinking more about her as I continued my ride. How did she get there? Who just dumped her into this public space with no shoes, no purse, nearly no clothes? Where were the bike police when she was dumped?  Would they do a rape kit at the hospital? She probably had been raped, since her bottom was naked. I’ll never know the answers to any of these questions. 


When I relayed the story to the hubby he asked me why did I ask her these questions. First, I'm nosey and watch a lot of medical and police TV shows.  Second, she was a woman out there alone and in major distress and totally vulnerable. It's a woman thing.

Comments

  1. You are a good person. Most people would have simply looked the other way. You stopped to help. This is what life is about. One person reaching out to another. Somewhere along the line, this humanity has been lost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise!!! You see the darnedest things when you are out and about, I'm speechless. Poor lady...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.

Popular Posts