MY INVISIBILITY CLOAK







In magazine interviews, sometimes the subject is asked what superpower would they like to have. Many times they say they would like to be invisible.

I didn't ask for it, but invisibility is my superpower as an older black woman in America. Now that I've discovered I have it, I like to put it to use as often as possible. 

When I'm in a department store, I can be assured of an uninterrupted shopping experience. Unless I'm in a really high end store, no one cares if I need assistance. I use my powers then to eavesdrop on conversations. I try not to laugh when they say something funny, but if I do, no one notices.

When I went to an open house a few weeks ago, the relator and his associates talked among themselves as if I wasn't there. I got some good information on the house that way. I waved a cheery goodbye on my way out to remind them that I had been there.

In the grocery store, I'm amazed at what I can do right in front of people who have decided not to see me. I get a kick out of it. 

Even in front of our house, I can stand on our stoop and our newer neighbors will walk right by with their dogs and babies and not see me. Sometimes I stand at the end of our driveway, right at the sidewalk to test my powers. They are strong, my powers. Even that close those who have chosen to, do not see me.

In these days of racial hyper-awareness, maybe it's just that they are afraid. Afraid of any black face. That's what the hubby says. I don't know. Maybe they've had a negative encounter with an angry Black woman. I won't try to guess. I can see why they would be afraid, the media makes all of us look like thugs, hooligans, violent monsters. It's too bad that they are afraid. They are missing out on a richness that could be part of their life. If only they could step outside of the fear and step into their real world. 






Comments

  1. So true, Necie Bug, that is why I had my first condo in a white (at the time) community so that I could invisibly go about my business. Love (shamelessly) when I wear that cloak, smh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading, Breeze. Keep wearing the cloak!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.

Popular Posts