Adventures of Detective Billings

Detective Billings
A few days ago I attempted to purchase Sudafed for the suffering hubby. It's no longer an over the counter drug thanks to meth-cookers everywhere. In order to make the purchase the pharmacist needed to swipe my driver's license. At first it wouldn't swipe and she used a plastic bag to cover it and then swiped.

She said, "Uh oh, it looks like you're at your limit of Sudafed purchases." What? This was my first time ever trying to buy it. She tried a second time with the same results. What the what?? This is my regular pharmacy, everyone there knows me. They were just as shocked as I was.

They couldn't tell me when the last purchase was made. Who tried to make the purchase. Nothing. Just that someone must have used my driver's license number to make the purchase. We discussed it further, as the line behind me grew and grumbled. No more information available. They suggested maybe I should go to a non-Rite Aid drug store, even though all of the pharmacies use the same system.

I didn't know what to do or who to call. There was no phone number on the computer. Everyone behind the counter shrugged, unable to help.

The next morning I began my day by calling our local police department. Very nice people. They had never heard of such a thing happening. The nice cop lady transferred me to Commercial Crimes. Commercial Crimes  had never heard of such a thing either and sent me back to my local police. I was told to go into the local police department.

We went over to the precinct to file a police report. It's kinda nerve racking to go to the police station voluntarily especially with the reputation that the LAPD has. But there we were rolling up onto the parking lot out front unsure of where to park. The pavers leading to the door were decorated with giant fingerprints. Cop humor. Behind the front counter was the nice lady cop I'd spoken to on the phone.

She remembered me and helped a rookie cop fill in my police report form. This was after consulting with their supervisor so they would know where to forward my report. They had lots of questions for me that I couldn't answer. They suggested I go back to the pharmacy and ask how can someone make a purchase with only the license number, without an actual driver's license to swipe? What name comes up on the pharmacy computer as having made the purchase? What procedure is used to buy the drugs? What proof is needed? What verification?

I also contacted the DMV. I tried to use the automated service where they say they will call you back in an hour and you won't lose your place in line. Their machine called me back nearly an hour later and eventually hung up on me. I called back and waited patiently on hold for another 49 minutes. The DMV service agent also had never heard of such a thing happening. He was able to look at my record and find there was nothing out of the ordinary. That was a relief. He thinks that what happened was random. He had pretty much the same questions the police had. He, too, suggested I go back to the pharmacy to inquire.

I'm thinking shouldn't one of these guys investigate? But since it's my problem, it's up to me to follow through.

On day three I called the pharmacy and spoke with the manager, who couldn't answer any of my questions. He told me I could try going to another pharmacy to get the Sudafed. I told him I no longer cared about the Sudafed, I just want to find out how this could have happened and if there is anything I can do about it. He thought I was accusing him of fraud. He finally was able to give me the number to their Loss Prevention Manager at the Corporate District Office. I called them and got a recording of course. I left my info with no hopes of a call back.

On day four I call the Corporate District Office again and speak to Maria Gomez, who also seemed to think my only concern was buying Sudafed. After going around and around with her, she actually argued with me about the use of my Wellness Card, she claimed that no matter what cold medication I purchase, it goes on my record. Even if it is something like cough drops and when the purchases add up they show on my record when it's time to buy something that actually needs ID. I repeated this bullshit back to her so that she could hear what it sounded like. She stuttered and stammered. I asked, "How could this go on my driver's license record?" She never answered my question.

She put the blame back on the supervisor at the pharmacy saying she should have answered my questions and now she is going back to "investigate" what happened at the pharmacy. What it feels like is that they are saying whatever they need to say to protect the corporation. Instead of trying to be helpful to me she went on the defense.

I was tempted to go to the local TV news reporter who investigates these kinds of things, but I really don't want that kind of attention. I'm going to let it go. I'm at a dead end and I'm going to leave it there. I've had a peek at the ugly underbelly of commercial corporations and the only advice I've received is to continue to check our credit records. Sigh. I don't want to tangle with them again. Not without a lawyer.


P.S. Thanks Shirley for the great title!

Comments

Popular Posts