Speaking of Aging

My animal print readers. 
Not only can't I remember things, but I can't see shit either. When I was about to turn 40, (many years ago) a lovely and overly helpful woman told me that on my 40th birthday I would wake up unable to see. She said I would have to start wearing reading glasses that same day.  I was able to make it 5 more years before being unable to read the fine print on the aspirin bottle in the drugstore.

I'd never had to wear glasses before so it was quite an adjustment. I remember once while shopping, that I needed to ask a young person to read a price tag for me. That was when I knew I had to have my reading glasses with me all the time. As time passed, I've gone from 1.00 to 2.00 strength readers. I have the sneaking feeling that it's time to move up to 2.5 strength. I'm like Fred Sanford now, I have them in every room of the house, in both cars, on the patio and in my purse.  I have to increase the font size on my computer so as not to strain.

I need them not just for reading, but for every little thing. To use my iPhone of course, and the computer, to manicure my nails, to sew, to eat, it's so sad when I can't really see what's on my plate. I won't even talk about the 10x magnifying mirror I need to apply my makeup. The 10x mirror plus glasses to pluck my brows.

Since I need so many pairs, I try to find fun colors and frame styles. I lose them a lot, too. I've lost some really cute ones over the years. I tried hanging them around my neck. I bought a couple of those chain thingies that look like a necklace. I couldn't do it though. That's just not my style. My kids like to tease me about wearing two pairs of glasses. My sunglasses will be on my head and the readers on my face or vice versa. I have to carry around so much stuff just to function these days. It's pitiful. But it is what it is. Sigh.

Comments

  1. What happened to just running out the door fully ready to take on the world without all the accouterments? I'm on the trifocal train waving at you Denise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I know right? Back in the day I didn't even carry a purse!

      Delete
  2. Natalie said she likes your glasses :-)

    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. welll, I'm right there with ya- glasses all OVER the house, & mine are prescription!!! LOL (fontessa)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.

Popular Posts