I Was The Only Idiot On The Roof

PERSEID METEOR SHOWER 2013
So last night I prepped for viewing the Perseid Meteor Shower. It's supposed to continue for the next couple days. I read about the it in the AARP magazine. That's were I get some of my best hair brained schemes! But that's another story.

I set my alarm for 2:00am. I woke up at 1:50am, my regular pee and hot flash time. Also another story. As I sat there I wondered who thought of this hair brained scheme? Oh, me. Urged on unknowingly by Facebook posts by Emmanuel and Tucker. I went to the bathroom, still thinking about going back to bed, but I looked out the window and saw a star and got all excited again.

I got dressed and gathered my blanket, binoculars and camera. I had already placed my ladder to the roof. That is were I thought I would be able to see the greatest expanse of sky. I was right. There were stars everywhere. When I got to the top of the ladder I still thought it was a good idea.

I tried to be as quiet as possible on the roof with the hubby still asleep in the bedroom below. I know what it sounds like when the cats and coyotes romp around up there. A little scary. I kept an eye out the whole time for more cats and coyotes. No trouble on that front, thankfully.

It was beautiful and quiet and starry up there as I lay on my blanket. Except, wait. My back was killing me. I laid there a while longer and the more I looked the more stars I could see.

I went back down the ladder and got some patio furniture cushions and another blanket. It was a little chilly up there. I got comfy. The binoculars didn't really help. The light on the camera messed with my eyes and it really didn't get any good shots. Just like when I tried taking pix of the moon a while back. Shaky.

All this time though I still didn't see any meteors. Then just when I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, because I thought I was seeing little red specks moving about, I saw a big white one streak across the sky. I almost shouted. "No, that WAS one! That WAS one!"

The sky clouded over after that. I laid there a few minutes more. Looking hopefully at the spot where I saw the streak. That was it. And so worth the wait. I packed it in after an hour and a half. I would have stayed longer but for the cloud cover.

This morning the hubby asked how it went. He asked if there was anyone else out on their roof. I said "No, I was the only idiot on the roof!" He said that should be the title of your blog post. Here it is. I'm going back up tonight!


Comments

  1. Necie you are fearless! I read AARP you must be getting different issues than me cause all I see is old people stuff and this was definitely not for old folks! You go girl...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shirley, it's so much fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.

Popular Posts