Buddhism

For the last year or so I've been reading books by Thich Nhat Hahn. I became interested in him after reading an article about him in Oprah's magazine. I was attracted to his peaceful vibe and the fact that the Buddhist meditations seem to fold nicely into the principles of my 12 Step work.

I read one book after another, Present Moment Wonderful Moment: Mindfulness Verses for Daily Living, Teachings on Love, and Happiness: Essential Mindfulness Practices; going deeper and deeper into the teachings. I especially like mindfulness. It's a challenge for my monkey mind to stay focused on one task at a time. It's going to take a really long time before I'm any good at doing this on a regular basis.  I do like hugging trees. I love trees anyway and I was surprised to find how warm trees can be. I like the idea of touching the earth, to me that is conscious contact with God.

I keep all of my Thich Nhat Hahn books on my Kindle. I kind of impressed myself that I have started a little collection of his writings.  Right now I'm reading Touching the Earth: Guided Meditations for Mindfulness Practice for the second time. I'm hoping more sinks in this time around. I think I'll keep reading this one over and over.

I'm calmed by the soothing, gentle language of transformation, mental formations, wrong perceptions, maintaining harmony, joy, cessation of suffering, easing other's suffering, dwelling happily in the present moment, suchness, and interconnectedness.

The concept that I am one with every other living being on earth gives me empathy for people I never thought I could empathize with. Here's a couple examples from Teachings on Love:" I am the frog swimming in the pond and I am also the snake who needs the body of the frog to nourish its own body. I am the caterpillar or the ant that the bird is looking for to eat, but I am also the bird that is looking for the caterpillar or the ant." Makes me go hmmmmmmm.

Practicing deep listening, and meditating on my connection to my ancestors and descendants, gives more fullness and meaning to my life.

Who knew that the act of smiling could improve my mood? When I wake up and smile at the coming day, I usually have a good day. "I shall smile and recognize everything that is happening in the present moment without being anxious or having a complex, whether that complex is one of superiority, inferiority, or thinking myself just as good as the other." I simply am.

The Guided Meditations book goes deeper. It has a very informative glossary. I know for sure that I could never be a Buddhist nun. There are some seriously restrictive mindful manners or fine manners that are guidelines for daily living in the monastery with mindfulness.  Like vegetarianism (I've got that down pat), no alcohol (what, no vodka?!), celibacy for monks and nuns, (no masturbation, either).

I like that Buddhists are OK with other religions and I feel that these tenents can co-exist. In Teachings on Love it says: "The Buddha respected people's desire to practice their own faith ... preserve your Jewish, Christian or Muslim roots, that is the way to continue the Buddha's spirit. If you are cut off from your roots, you cannot be happy."

What's not to like about finding more ways to spread happiness and love? I'm going to take what I can use and leave the rest.

Comments

Popular Posts