Friends II

Jo
Barbara
Since I've lived in Earl's world, I've made some new friends. When I first started living with him, I worried about fitting in. I was a working stiff. Thirteen and 1/2 years at Pacific Bell along with various and sundry other jobs. Would they like me?

Turns out there were numerous circles of his friends. The valley friends, the L.A. friends, the golf friends, all show biz people who are infinitely entertaining!

In the beginning there was one person who was not so happy that I had joined the crowd. She would give me her back as she hugged everyone around me. Glad to say over the years I've won her over. Happily everyone else warmly welcomed me. Made me feel a part of the family. When a new wife joined our circle I was able to welcome her.

There are two that I've grown especially close to. Jo and Barbara. You never know how friendships are going to turn out until years have passed. You don't know if you'll have time to spend together. Friendships are different than in our youth. People have lives. We give each other our space. But as with my childhood friends, when we are together, it's as if we just saw each other yesterday.

I hadn't seen Barbara in a long while. She was going through some personal things. I decided to go over and sit a spell. We caught up and caught up and caught up. I didn't realize until I returned home that I had spent 5 or 6 hours with her. It seemed like we still weren't finished catching up.

When we are together, Earl calls us Lucy and Ethel. We have had quite a few adventures together. When either of us comes up with what he calls a "hair brained scheme", we are both ready to roll with it.


One day Jo and I were walking along in another city, Atlanta, I think, talking about this and that. She said to me that she knew a lot of people but she didn't have a lot of real friends. That moved me. I chirped up my truth that, "I'm your friend." Well, that sealed the deal. It was official. We were both quite happy with the idea. We've had some adventures, too.

We check in on each other every now and then. We are always excited when we see each other. I am blessed and grateful for the friends in my life. I'm going to see if I can't keep making them as I age.

Comments

Popular Posts