How Badly I Bowl

In a few weeks the hubby and I are going to another golf tournament. Nothing unusual. Except this time one of the weekend's activities will be bowling. The organizers want to know my shoe size for the event. When I was a teenager that was a problem. I was so embarrassed to have a big old size 10 on the back of my bowling shoes.

In college I bowled. We did all of those fun things in the student union. Shooting pool, playing cards, you know. I play cards and shoot pool pretty well, especially when I'm sober. Frequently these recreational activities involved mood altering substances. Just saying.

Anyway, I won't say I learned how to bowl, I'll just say I bowled. I am no longer concerned about my shoe size showing on the back of the shoe. I just try to keep that heavy ass ball out of the gutter. I never had any actual bowling lessons. That's the problem today.

The hubby on the other hand is an excellent bowler. He likes to win. Folks in his hometown of Cleveland were avid bowlers, leagues and everything. It was a citywide obsession. Team bowling shirts, personalized balls, the works.

He asked if I wanted to bowl during our weekend in Houston. I hemmed and hawed. First thinking about my shoe size showing on the back of my shoe. Ok, I'm over that. Then thinking about how well he plays and how poorly I play. There may be a chance we play on the same team, he says he wants to win. No pressure. :|

I admitted to him I've never had bowling lessons. I tried to beg off, knowing his passion for winning. He's not letting me off the hook. He thinks I should challenge myself. I was perfectly fine with cheering on the team from the sidelines with an adult beverage in my hand. Instead we are scheduled for a few teaching sessions at our local bowling alley. Technique and things, sheesh.

I'll let you know how it turns out. Hope I survive bowling lessons from the hubby.

Comments

  1. Thankfully I have a noncompetitive partner and we do no-judgement bowling, just hitting a ball gets high praise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think.

Popular Posts