Goodreads

Goodreads wooed me for some time. I've finally succumbed. It's actually an online book club. I don't care for book clubs, that's why I resisted. I feel pressured to read on a schedule, that takes the fun out of reading for me. I didn't mind selling books to book clubs back when I was running a book store from home. I went to book club meetings, made book recommendations, talked books, took book orders, and that was great.

I do, however, like the bragging rights of listing all of the books I've read and own. I didn't notice the scan feature on the iPhone app until I had added over 200 titles. Dang. I'm not that excited about reporting what page I'm on. A little pressure there. I'm not a great a reviewer, either. Goodreads seems to like reviews.  Reviewing would require me to remember what I read, or take notes while reading. That's a book report isn't it? Again, sucking the fun from the reading experience. I only remember the stories. Titles never. Authors occasionally. Just like with people and their names. I remember faces and people's stories but not their names.

I'm not going to join the groups on the Goodreads site, or take any of the quizzes, that would be way too much like school. Ruining my fun. Not having it. Not going to vote for the favorite list that someone else made. I do check out the books that some of my Goodreads friends are reading, I'll probably read some of those. I don't want to do the polls or the reading challenges. I just want to read. How about that?

Comments

Popular Posts